Sunday 14 September 2014

St Petersburg to Helsinki (415 km)

Tuesday 9th September
Taxi from hotel to Finland Station at 2 pm. The station exterior is very impressive but the international trains for Helsinki have a small separate waiting area at the side so don't  get to go inside the main part of the station. I am quite early so need a few minutes before I  can check in with my ticket and passport, only to find I have just moved from one part to another of a rather stuffy waiting area. Still cannot go onto the platform. So make use of the duty free to buy two cans of Heineken at 2 Euro each since I suspect everything in Finland may be much more expensive. 

Finland Station in St Petersburg
Just after 3 pm they let us onto the platform and I find my coach and seat on the train. I got the seat selection right,  window seat facing the  direction of travel but it doesn't really matter since there are only three other people in the carriage! The train can't be more than 20%  full. 
The Allegro Train at St Petersburg

Plenty of seats available

It even has a play area for children

Leave on time and almost immediately a Russian immigration official takes my passport, scans it, and the visa, through a hand held terminal, stamps it and that is Russian immigration done. A few minutes later a Russian customs man asks if I have anything to declare, how much money am I carrying, and that is it. The train is non stop to Vyborg the last big station before the border. Later on discover that Vyborg was historically a Swedish/Finnish city but the Russians seized it at the end of the Second World War. The landscape  outside is mainly yet more birch forest. Makes you wonder why the Russians, Swedes and later Finns fought  over this land; did they need the trees? About 4 pm I go to the restaurant car and get some Finnish meatballs and a Finish beer. The prices are in Euros but I pay in Roubles, 1040. The meatballs with mashed potato, gravy and cranberry sauce are exactly the same as you get in IKEA.

Just like IKEA
A few people get on at Vyborg and all the immigration and customs people get off. We pass a few other small local stations before crossing the border into Finland. At the first station in Finland, the Finish immigration and customs officials come on. Again the immigration man scans my passport through a hand held terminal and passes it back to me. For the first time on my trip they don't stamp my passport; welcome to the EU. A few minutes later two customs officials ask if I have anything to declare and how many bags I have. If Russia and Finland can do border control so slickly here, why does it take so long at all the other crossings?  Once in Finland there is noticeably less forest and more farming. See some lakes which fit exactly how I imagined Finland to be. 


How I imagined Finland to be

Another Finnish Lake
See a combine harvester in action for the first time in many years. Reminds me of The Wurzels "I got a Brand New Combine Harvester"


We stop at quite a few stations in  Finland before we start passing commuter trains in the outskirts of Helsinki. Arrive at Helsinki Station on time. According to Wikipedia, Helsinki Station was  designed by Eliel Saarinen and inaugurated in 1919. It was chosen as one of the world's most beautiful railway stations by the BBC in 2013. It is currently undergoing some restoration so the front of it is covered in scaffolding. 

The Train in Helsinki Station

Double Decker Train in Helsinki Station

Helsinki Station - Amazing to think it was built before the First World War, when Finland was still part of the Russian Empire
The Stone Men of Helsinki Station


Thanks to Google maps, which is wonderful when it works, I know I can get a No 4 tram to the Scandic Grand Marina Hotel but it takes me a while to find the tram stop. It is raining now, not heavily but definitely wet. Don't have to wait long for the tram for which I pay €3 ,  bit of a change from Russia, and travel just a few stops. Luckily I get off at the right one and it is only a few minutes walk to the hotel, which is a converted warehouse in the harbour. 

No comments:

Post a Comment