Thursday 11 September 2014

Moscow to St Petersburg (650 km in 4.5 hours)

Saturday 6th September.
Quickest hotel check out of all time. Handed over the key card and room number card to the young man at the desk who said "Goodbye" When I hesitated he just said "Goodbye " again. So I left. Got the metro to Komsomolskaya station for the Leningrad station.

The High Speed "Sapsan" train comes into the platform about 40 minutes before departure and it takes a while to get on since the attendant scans every ticket and checks it against the passport for every passenger. I see one couple with a young child having to show a birth certificate. 



The Sapsan Train at Leningrad Station, Moscow
We leave on time at 1330. Unlike the Chinese train, there is no indicator to tell us how fast we are going but it feels faster because we are following the normal tracks rather than on a dedicated line so the platforms at small stations and all the usual trackside paraphernalia whiz by. Amazingly I can see footpaths crossing over the track!    Go to the restaurant car and have a bite to eat, cheese and ham pancakes,   and a coffee. The food comes in a pre-packaged packet but the microwave has done its job and it is piping hot. There are several intermediate stations where the pre recorded announcement in Russian and English warns that the train will stop for just one minute. And it does! Pleased to hear the English announcement greeting us as "Dear passengers". Can't see that happening on British trains any time soon. Still lots of forest but many more settlements. Also something I have not seen before,  masses of what look like garden sheds. What are they used for? The photo opportunity for "50 Sheds of Grey" shot past before I could catch it. Most of the others were brown. Precisely at 1800 we glided into the Moscow Station in St Petersburg.

Moscow Station in St Petersburg


According to the Red Star hotel information,  I can get a 22 bus from across the road from the station. Get the bus, pay the conductor 25 roubles and carefully follow the route we are following on the map I copied last night. Then it stops. The bus driver and conductor get off for a smoke but other people get on so I assume we will continue after the smoking break. We do but the conductor says something to me that I soon learn means "we are going back the way we came". Get off at the next stop and walk back to the smoking point. Next No 22  a few minutes later also does a turn round. Reckon I am not that far to the hotel and walk it. Later learnt that some 22 buses do go all the way but bypass the stop where some of them turn round; so I would have waited for ever at that bus stop. Once at the Red Star a very helpful and fluent in English receptionist checks me in. Confess I never have much faith in on-line bookings unless I have a piece of paper in my hand but it all works and a few minutes later  I am in the room. Red Star is anything but bland. Graffiti-like murals cover all the corridors and the room lives up to the "red" part of the name. Each floor has a city theme. I am on Floor 3  which is Tokyo, so all the murals are anime type characters. Floor 2 is  Rio de Janeiro, Floor  4 is London and Floor 5 is New York.

The Red Star Lives up to its Name 

Anime Characters outside my door




5 comments:

  1. That looks a fantastic hotel! I once stayed in St Pete's at the Grand Hotel Europa on a special weekend deal. The only hotel I have ever stayed at where there was real caviar for breakfast, as well as a colossal display of smoked fish, cold meats, fruit, etc; and a man at the end of the room sitting on a chair and playing a classical guitar. I assumed he was supplied by the hotel.

    Nyevskiiy Prospekt used to have some trolleybus-trains (one towing another) which looked rather exciting (I think they had the driver in the front one), but I never managed to travel in them.

    I was there in the summer, just after the "white nights" but soon enough after that it never got dark.

    Did you have to get a non-standard Russian visa for your journey? My multi-entry business visas allowed me to visit only three cities (Moscow, St Pete's and -- strangely enough -- London). There was also a space for "number of accompanying children" with boxes for 1, 2, 3, etc but no box for "no children".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Red Star Hotel was great except for the location, far from any metro station or tram routes. The No 22 bus ran quite close and was good for going into the centre from the hotel but not so good going back since it didn't always got the full distance. There were minibuses too but I didn't try them.

      As for the visa I had to list all the cities I planned to visit and identify accommodation in each but I didn't have to book in advance and in practice didn't always use the hotels I had specified. Real Russia booked my long distance train tickets and provided me with the letter of invitation which is needed for the visa. .

      Delete
  2. Hotel interior not at all what I'd have imagined in St Petersburg or indeed in Russia. Hope the city is as 'pretty' as I remember with its glorious Baroque buildings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trip Advisor did comment on the interior so I wasn't too surprised. Yes St Petersburg is still stunning!

      Delete
  3. Regarding Russian Visas although you need an official invitation and need to specify an itinerary, the visa itself no longer states specific places as it used to do in Soviet times. I think Russia uses visas as a negotiating tool rather than to track foreigners. Claudio, who I met on the train in Beijing, comes from Chile and didn't need any visa at all. Same for several other Latin American countries. .

    ReplyDelete