Sunday 7 September 2014

Ekaterinburg

Sunday 31st August
After a shower and a change of clothes,  go into the cafe for the breakfast buffet which is good. Fried eggs, "omelette", sausages, assorted cold meats,  salami, cheeses breads etc etc..  The cafe is very different from the Europa, it has a modern, clean design; it  could be in Germany. The hotel offers a FREE laundry service so make use of that. With my map from Reception , I set out to follow the tourist trail. Sunday morning is very quiet, shops are closed and not many people around. The trail is well laid out with a red line on the road to follow as well as the map. I joined in the middle and took some deviations off it, which led me to TGIF among other things. There is still a big statue of Lenin looking over his Prospect and Karl Marx has a rather minor street. Ekaterinburg is a big modern city with not so much for the tourist but they have done a good job of keeping their heritage buildings, including some fantastic 19th century ones. One, close to Lenin, houses an up-market shopping mall which reminds me of the one in Vietnam in catering to people with more money than taste. Maybe it's just sour grapes on my part.
It's that Man Again!

Upmarket Shopping Mall

It is quite a surprise to realise that  some of the churches are new, such as a small one near the lake, which was built around 2000 to commemorate the location of the first church in the city, and the massive "Church of the Blood",  which was built after the collapse of communism, dedicated to  the Romanov royal family who were murdered on the site. I thing the Russian Orthodox Church has canonised them. Everything is in Russian so I may be missing something but it seems there is a huge focus on the Romanovs and no consideration of the millions of ordinary Russians who suffered and perished in the aftermath of the revolution. Immediately across the road from the church is a typical heroic, Soviet statue,  so maybe there is just no consensus on how to treat the past. Most of the people in the church were genuine worshippers or pilgrims with only a handful of tourists in a group. As I went in I thought there was an entry charge and handed over 50 roubles and was surprised to receive a candle rater than a ticket.  I lit it for J in the hope that she will make a good recovery.

Saint Catherine's Chapel.
Built in 1998 on the site of the first church in Ekaterinburg.

Church of the Blood

The tourist trail has a a tribute to the Beatles and an artwork of a huge Qwerty keyboard, formed of stones on a grassy bank.

Tribute to the Beatles

Dr Who in Ekaterinburg

Part of the keyboard
Riverside

N. I. Sevastianov’s house

Made my way back to the hotel and had a cup of coffee and a cake in the Schokolade cafe next door.  Evening went to a restaurant recommended by Trip Advisor, Poshtek. Inside it was very retro again, although not so overtly Soviet as Rassolnik  in Irkutsk. The tables were divided up so that each group of two or three occupied a "living room" decorated in 1950s style with lots of books in bookshelves "family" photographs,  pretty   oil paintings hanging on  flowery wallpaper, light shades with fringes and tassels and a few old cameras and typewriter to complete the scene. The portable typewriter was almost identical to the one my mother had, except for the Cyrillic type. I find the nostalgia strange since I can't believe any of the diners, who need to be fairly affluent to eat at this type of restaurant, would look back on the communist period with any pleasure. Also interesting that the rooms re-created are very bourgeois, full of books, pens and ink stands,  the homes of doctors and lawyers rather than the proletariat. Perhaps, despite all the hardships and injustice, people really did believe they were building a better future?

Wednesday 1st September.
Find what I think may be the original station, almost along side the current one which now appears to be a museum. Everything in Russian so not sure. When I try to go n a man gives me a definite "Nyet" shrug without exchanging any words at all.

Railway Museum in the Old Station Building

Decide to take a tram ride to a different part of the city and Tram 3 looks to go through the city centre and out to the South West. 23 roubles flat fare. Interesting to see different parts of the city and then we are into the big housing estates. Lots of Soviet era apartment blocks, but after seeing Asian mass housing in Singapore and Beijing these seem almost cosy.

On the tram I see "Lolita" for the first time. Is she deliberately playing the part? Or rehearsing for one? She could be anywhere between 14 and 17. Petite, pretty and immaculately dressed. Black formal but flat shoes, dark tights, short black pleated skirt, spotless white quilted jacket with paisley like pattern in black, black handbag with "Ginivy" written in silver on it. A pink fabric rose is pinned in her longish, light brown hair curled into ringlets at her shoulders. She has   hazel brown eyes and to complete the image she is sucking a lollipop. There are seats on the tram but she stands immediately in front of me which is why I cannot ignore her. She certainly stands out from all the other women on the tram.

Eventually we arrive at a huge shopping mall, Raduga Park.


Inside could be anywhere in Europe,  except for the Cyrillic. It has a superstore, all the well known brands such as  H&M, Mango, Baskin Robbins, McDonalds etc,  and a food court, same words in Russian. Interesting that about half the shop front signs are in Latin alphabet but many brands such as  McDonalds and Baskin Robbins  have decided to Cyrillisise,  (is that a word?) their names. Do the marketing departments do lots of customer research to make the decision? Obviously all younger Russians are totally familiar with the Latin alphabet,  not like me working out each Cyrillic word in turn,  so it seems doubly odd that so few speak any English. Have a cup of cappuccino;  I can safely order that, and a Danish pastry in a small cafe which I think is called "Polly Bakery".

Tram and Apartments

Flags and Apartments
After having my fill of the shopping mall and looking at some old wooden houses or apartments next to the high rise estate, I head back to the tram stop to find the No. 3 tram does not run back in the direction I came from. So I get on a No. 19 going back the other way thinking that the No. 3 must do a loop at the end of the line. On the No 19,  there is Lolita again but now wearing jeans instead of the black dress. Realise I am not heading back into the city and I can see no sign of a No. 3 on the signs showing the trams in this direction. So decide to get the No. 3 tram back the other way, which takes me back into the city centre but not back to where I started. Eventually we ae heading out of the centre again and finaIly stop at a terminus. I show the map to the conductor and point to where I got on and she gestures me to stay in the tram. Soon we are heading off again and eventually I do get back to where I started. An interesting round the city tour for 69 roubles but not what I had planned.  The No 3 is a circular route with an appendix in the South East and runs anticlockwise only. Why? What is the point of a tram line that takes you somewhere from which you cannot return? The black and white tram route I downloaded gives no clue,showing only the ends of the lines. Colour maps showing the routes would be really useful at the tram and bus stops. Check on the web later and find the following.

http://askural.com/2010/12/transport-in-yekaterinburg/

which confirms that " For example, if you take Tram 3 form the train station to Lenin Avenue, it doesn’t mean that you can get back to the train station by the same tram as it runs one way in circles." but doesn't explain why

Went to the supermarket in the shopping mall across the road from the hotel which has a range of products to rival any in Britain, and surpasses most in Singapore,  to buy some cappuccino sachets for the journey tomorrow. Did some ironing in the dedicated ironing room they have on every floor.

Remotes are Us

 Then it is time for dinner. After a lot of searching, I  find the Metro station near the hotel and go a few stops to the city centre; I could walk it but I am feeling lazy. The pedestrianised street which looked so promising when I pased it on the tram yields only a Burger King and a Pizza Mia but I find an excellent restaurant, Khash,  in a shopping mall where the waitress speaks excellent English and I get  some tasty chicken in creamy, garlicky sauce,  a beer and later a baklava. All excellent and about 750 roubles. Back to the hotel on the metro;  I have lost confidence in trams!

No comments:

Post a Comment