Monday 25 August 2014

Shanghai: The French Concession

Shanghai Day 2
After getting my ticket to ride, took the metro to a station close to the French Concession which does meet expectations in being a low rise oasis among the taller buildings occupying most of the city. And, yes, it does have some interesting early 20th century French architecture but nothing you would give a second glance to in France. The downside is that almost  all the shops are devoted to women's fashion. Since, like most men, I don't pretend to understand the obsession of most young women with clothes and fashion, this left me rather cold. Although it was fun to see the clothes arriving at expensive looking, chic boutiques, baled up in plastic sheeting like yesterday's newspapers, and the expensively attired boutique owners and their assistants hacking them open with box cutter knives.     On the plus side, I found Para's coffee which did me an excellent sandwich, an iced coffee, and provided a comfy chair to relax and use their WiFi. All with very pleasant and friendly service.


Later on came to an area with several restaurants and decided to come back for dinner  in the evening.

Isn't it amazing how you can look at an area in the afternoon and see that it has loads of restaurants but when you come back in the evening specifically intending to eat, the options become vanishingly small? Do I really want to eat expensive Italian or French food in Shanghai? Yes, the wine bar tries very hard to be "authentic" but it never will be and I didn't come to Shanghai to eat at an extortionately expensive American style steakhouse with a load of expat bankers. So I end up in Tsui Wah, a no frills, chain restaurant catering mainly to young couples and groups. The sizzling prawns with fried noodles are certainly sizzling, almost jumping off the plate, and the lime sherbet is very refreshing.  Not such a bad choice.




Dr Beer looked a great place for a drink at lunchtime, and I am sure it is since it is packed solid but I don't fancy being a beer drinking sardine so get the metro back to the hotel.  

While looking round Shanghai came across some interesting signs:

Got the right idea about small children

Until now the idea had never crossed my mind
Got this one right. But it makes you realise how illogical English is.
Child minders "mind" children. Why do we need to "mind" the gap? 

Wish I'd learnt Chinese

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I agree that the areas with all of the nice restaurants turns into just one or two places with barely acceptable menus by the time I return at 8pm. This happened numerous times during The Great Meander. Eventually I started looking at the menus in detail when I passed earlier in the day and then I would stick a small round red sticker onto my street plan for any where I would definitely find something tempting to eat. Stickers of other colours identified the post office, ATMs belonging to my bank, internet cafes, museums, and so on. It was a much better system than just asking at the tourist office where they usually wrote a big "X" against each place whose location I requested - meaning that I emerged from the tourist office with a map covered in blue kisses but no idea what each one represented.

    ReplyDelete