Wednesday 27 August 2014

Exploring Beijing

Sunday 17th August.
After a cup of tea in my room overlooking the station I went out to explore the adjacent Henderson shopping mall which looks rather tired and past its prime. There are many places to eat but most have menus in Chinese only, apart from the expensive looking Japanese restaurant. Eventually I found one that had pictures and names in English where I order sautéed beef, stir fried green beans and a beer. The place looks a bit like an American diner, with red plastic bench seats and an open kitchen at the side. The food proved to be far better than expected. Hot, tasty and freshly cooked. Quite spicy with a lot of chilli and garlic. Quite different from the Chinese food in UK or even Singapore.
Picked up a couple of beers from the supermarket to go back to the room and do some washing!
Monday 18th August
Armed with the street map I bought yesterday, plus the map sent by Real Russia, I thought it would be quick and easy to find the travel agency to pick up my ticket for the first segment of the Trans Siberian Express from Beijing to Ulaan Baatar. Neither map had a scale and the map I bought shows the whole of Beijing but on too small scale to show all the individual streets near the centre. When all else fails, ask a policeman,  of which there are many, guarding all access points to the station. Luckily the map from Real Russia had the address in Chinese and he knew enough English to point in the right direction and say "eight hundred metres". When I eventually found the office the woman was very efficient and gave me the ticket telling me that the departure time has been re scheduled from 0805 to 1130,  which is far more civilised. Checked my precious ticket;   "Alles in Ordnung" since it is printed in Chinese, Mongolian and German! After the hot walk I was easily tempted by the nearby Starbucks for an iced latte, Danish pastry and brownie; a good, healthy late breakfast.

Decided to explore the nearby City Wall Park along one of the few remaining parts of the city wall which dates from the 1400's and was originally 40 km long. It was rebuilt and strengthened at various times and clearly they are still working on it. The park is a pleasant oasis in an otherwise built up area and supports many pairs of fat magpies. 

The City Wall


12 Commandments for the City Wall Park

Urban Beijing near the City Wall
There is a museum in one of the bastions which tells more about the history. The bastion and the wall were last used defensively to defend the city against British and Russian troops  in 1900. It also provides a good view over the railway station and the tracks leading into it; a great place for train spotters! There is a commercial  art gallery occupying part of the bastion where I found some of the works, by an artist Xia Xing,  are surprisingly explicit; amazed it gets past the censors.

Woman's Best Friend ? 


From the top of the bastion I could see my hotel but realised that I was separated from it by a very solid Ming dynasty wall and many railway tracks, so the only way back was the way I had come. Very hot and sticky by the time I arrived but felt more human after a shower and a cup of tea.

Later in the evening met KY in the hotel lobby where we had a couple of beers before going out to eat in the Ritan area of Beijing. A whole street full of restaurants, many nationalities and supporting a large Russian community, based on the amount of Cyrillic in the menus. We chose a Chinese restaurant where KY chose the food and treated us to a banquet. Fish with little pancakes, two sorts of aubergines, juicy dumplings, and some other dishes I can't remember! Later had a beer in a nearby Italian place.

Tuesday 19th August
Set out for the Temple of Heaven, since I visited the Forbidden City a few years ago. On the way, at the corner of Tiananmen Square,  I came across the Railway Museum which proved more interesting than I had expected. Plenty of information in English although it is heavy on propaganda. The railways came late to China and much of today's network was only completed after the Communist Party came to power in 1949.  Based on the maps I saw, difficult to interpret since all in Chinese,  I would not have been able to do this journey in 1949, although there was a Shanghai to Beijing line by then. " In 1933 a train ride from Beijing to Shanghai took around 44 hours, at an average speed of 33 km/h. Passengers had to get off in Pukou with their luggage, board a ferry named "Kuaijie" across the Yangtze, and get on another connecting train in Xiaguan on the other side of the river." 

Mao overseeing the Railway Museum



I also learnt that the high speed rail track is laid onto solid concrete foundations rather than traditional railway ballast, which fits with what I saw, and the rails are heavier, 60 kg/m, than the usual ones.  From the Railway Museum walked down Qianmen Street, a recently renovated pedestrian avenue lined with buildings in traditional  Chinese style although I think all of them are new.

Qianmen Street, looking towards Tiananmen Square


Qianmen Street

Statues in Qianmen Street

 Walked down some quiet tree lined side streets until I came to the outside of the Temple of Heaven, protected by a massive, high brick wall extending as far as I could see in both directions. Made what I thoought was an educated guess that the entrance was on the left which luckily proved to be correct.  


Boris Bikes in Beijing

The Temple of Heaven was stunning. And the whole complex is huge!  I think I must have visited it on my first trip to China over 20 years ago but my memory has faded with time. Obviously there has been very extensive restoration and I don't know how much is original but the overall result  is amazing. According to UNESCO " "a masterpiece of architecture and landscape design which simply and graphically illustrates a cosmogony of great importance for the evolution of one of the world’s great civilizations...". Yes, I had to look up "cosmogony" too.

http://www.kinabaloo.com/temple_of_heaven.html

Gateway to the Temple of Heaven


Temple of Heaven:  Hall of Prayer for Good Harvests
Temple of Heaven
 At one side of the temple complex is the "Hall of Abstinence" where the emperor would fast for a period of three days  before making sacrifices for a good harvest. For three days of no food, no alcohol and no women, one might think a small monastic cell would be appropriate  but obviously Chinese Emperors wanted to abstain in style!
Entrance to the Hall of Abstinence 

More Roof Decorations

Why??

Not far away is  the " Divine Music Administration" complex designed to support the hundreds of musicians and performers for these huge rituals. Inside there is an extensive exhibition relating to traditional Chinese music, some of it rather lost on me since I have never got to grips with understanding Western music despite several years of music lessons at school.

There is more information here

In the evening went to Sanlitun Bar Street where I had a salmon panini at Crepanini followed by a delicious Crepe Tartin, while watching the street go by and the acrobatic  pole dancer in the bar opposite, where I later had a beer, by which time the pole dancer had been replaced by a band.
Crepanini
Tsingtao at Crepanini

I had expected Sanlitun to be a Chinese equivalent of Holland Village in Singapore, or even like the bars around one of the lakes in Beijing    I had visited a few years ago. But many of the bars looked suspiciously empty and none show prices so I suspect many are out to fleece unsuspecting tourists.  The one I drank in was quite reasonable. 
Sanlitun Bar Street

Sanlitun Bar Street

Street Food at Sanlitun Bar Street

Going home the first few taxi drivers I approached didn't want to go to the hotel but a driver of one of the little electric tricycle taxis was happy to take me. A bit slow but a fascinating experience travelling silently in an open air vehicle through the streets of Beijing, sometimes on roads and sometimes on pavements. Later I have read warnings about not using these vehicles but the driver of mine was very good and delivered me safely to the hotel. 

3 comments:

  1. So looking at the 12 commandments can understand the authorities dont want you to pick the flowers or smoke, or cycle. And a shame you cant walk the dog ( I wont say anything about dogs and Chinese restaurants) but what on earth are you prohibited to do middle bottom row? Build an ark?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took it to be not setting off fire crackers. But they would probably take a dim view of building an ark as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! I've never seen a "no firecrackers" sign before.

    ReplyDelete