Sunday 5 October 2014

Cologne to Brussels (approx 213km)

Monday 29th September
By the time we have another of Lasmini's delicious and enormous breakfasts of scrambled egg with ham and tomato, sausages, toast, juice, yoghurt and coffee, and I pack all my stuff, it is after 10 when we leave. Drive into Cologne, arriving about 1130 at the station where we have a cup of coffee before Lasmini has to leave since the parking will expire. My Thalys train arrives on Platform 8 but my seat by the window is occupied by a young mother  and her toddler. She knows perfectly well she has taken my seat and tells me I can have hers next to the aisle. Since she and her child are comfortably settled, I can't really argue but I am a bit peeved. Train leaves on time at 1244 and very shortly afterwards I am presented with a lunch menu. 

Thalys Train at Cologne Station

Thalys Train at Cologne Station

I hadn't realised my 1st class ticket for €49 included lunch and wine. The airline style pre-prepared food was fresh and appetising, although cold, and it came with a small bottle of wine, 187ml,  I think. Very impressed. Stop at Aachen, Liege and then Brussels. Once I find my bearings,  it is about a 15 minute walk to the Hotel Mirabeau. 
Bruxelles Midi Station

Bruxelles Midi Station

At the reception I get the key to the room on the 5th floor but then the man tells me the lift isn't working. The stairs are very narrow and it is no fun at all lugging my bag up to the room which is obviously recently renovated but very basic. Definitely not intended for cat swinging parties. 

No comments:

Post a Comment