Thursday 2 October 2014

Bialystok to Warsaw (Approx 193 km)

24 September
Bialystok to Warsaw
Get a taxi from the hotel to the station for 15 Zloty which saves me the walk and the carrying my bag over the footbridge across the railway tracks. The train come in on Platform III, Track 3; I really can't understand the need for both platform and track numbers. Interestingly the railway signs are all in Polish, English and Russian; if Poland can do it, why can't the Baltic states? The train has come from Gdynia on the coast and goes all the way to Katowice in Southern Poland, a long  L shaped route. 


Bialystok Station

Train to Warsaw

From Gdynia to Katowice
The train has compartments and I have a window seat opposite the only other passenger in the compartment, a woman whose English is no better than my Polish, so no conversation. Not long after leaving, a man with a trolley comes by so I get a cup of coffee. Most of the journey is through flat farmland, except for some sandy forest. We pass through Legionowa which appears to be a railway junction and has a big station with lots of platforms but we don't stop. Realise we are close to Warsaw now and we race through several big stations which I guess are served by local trains.


Arrive on time at Warszawa Centralna, a big, modern station with all the platforms underground so it take me a while to get my bearings and work out which exit to take. Once I manage to find the exit for Aleje Jerozolimskie, it is about a 10 minute walk to the Metropol hotel.

Arriving in Warsaw

Warsaw Central Station

No comments:

Post a Comment